Friday, June 22, 2012

Madelyn Marie White

Madelyn was born this past Monday June 18, 2012 at 2:51 p.m. She was born weighing 8 lbs 10 oz and was 21 inches long. Monday morning I woke up around 7:15 because I couldn't sleep. Derek had already left for work and I wanted to get a few things done before my doctors appointment at 10:30. I was very anxious for this appointment hoping they were going to be scheduling an induction! At 7:30 I went to the bathroom and as I stood up I noticed fluid was still coming. I stood in shock. I started thinking can I be peeing my pants, lol? I just had the vision of what you see in movies when your water breaks. I decided since I was going to the doctor to see what continued to happen. I really thought I was just getting my hopes up and it was probably nothing. As I took about 3 more steps even more started to come and just continued. At this point I was pretty sure my water had broke. I went and woke mom up and said I was calling the doctor. Even at this point I still couldn't let myself think this is it!! I called Derek and said "I think my water broke but waiting for the doctor to call back"

Then the contractions started. I had been having contractions for a few weeks now and kept asking will the contractions be different once labor starts. Well the answer is YES! I had 3 contractions that were 10 mins apart that were very painful. I called Derek two more times saying this is it, no need for the Dr. to call back I can't even get ready now because of contractions. After the first 3 contractions they changed to every 4-5 minutes apart. It seemed my labor was going quick. At this point my mom woke up my cousin Krystie who was also visiting and we started getting everything together and waited for Derek to get home. Derek of course flew home and even said he passed a cop who was going 65 and he was going over 80. Luckily, somehow he didn't get pulled over.

Once Derek got home we all headed to the hospital. When we got there I was at 4 cm dilated and my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. The nurse said I could get the epidural right away since I was so far. I was very excited because at this point I was really struggling with pain. The only downfall was I had to have 2 IV's for fluid before I could have the epidural. So it took about an hour and half before finally the anesthesiologist came and I got the epidural. For about an hour the epidural made it SO much better!! Then the pressure started. My doctor came in to check it I had dilated anymore and she was shocked but excited that was already at 9 1/2 cm! I really was lucky how quick my labor was going! About 45 minutes later it was time for me to start pushing. I ended up pushing for about an hour. I honestly can remember saying during the labor "I can't do this" but now I can't even remember the pain. It really is true what everyone says, you forget all the pain once you have your baby in your hand!

They immediately handed her to me and it was the best feeling in the world! Derek and I were beyond excited to finally meet our little bundle. We were excited to have all of Derek's family there as well as Mom and Krystie. We called everyone in and finally got to share her name...Madelyn Marie. Of course the next question everyone asked was, "what color is her hair" The nurses all think it is auburn on the side, we just see brown. Of course we know it will change some so we will see! We stayed in the hospital until Wednesday morning and then we were able to bring Maddie home:)

Today we had our first appointment with the pediatrician. They were so excited with how well she is doing. When we left the hospital Wednesday she weighed 8lbs 1 oz so they hoped she would at least maintain this week as many women's milk takes a few days to come in. However, today she was 8lbs 4 oz! She was above what they wanted. We aren't really surprised as it seems Maddie is ALWAYS hungry. Many nights I am feeding her every hour! They said this will fade off after about two weeks. This is good because right now Derek and I are going on about 4 hours of sleep a night and have not been able to nap much during the day! This will be even harder once Derek goes back to work Monday as he will need more sleep to make it though the work day so I won't want him up all night!

Here are a few pictures of Maddie's first few days! We will try and take some videos and more pictures to update soon! It is a little harder to blog these days but know everyone wants updates:)

Daddy so excited to finally meet his daughter:)

Big smile!

Right after Maddie's first bath!


On our way to the Dr for the first time!


Kangaroo Care after Maddie was born!

3 comments:

Nana said...

Awwww.......she is so precious!!! Welcome Madelyn Marie...we love you lots!

Anonymous said...

So precious!! I love the picture of her with the smirk! So cute! Can't wait for the pictures of her in my auntie rocks!!! LOVE YOU ALL!!
-Krystie

Anonymous said...

So excited for you guys!!! She is soooo precious!!!!! Can't wait for next month so I can meet her!!! LOVE YOU!!!!!
`Elly